Sunday, May 28, 2006

Man.

I've been so busy. I apologize. Graduation and everything. But I did get a lot of listening/reading done while knitting my sweater thing.

Book 3: My Antonia by Willa Cather
A very nice book. Kind of depressing, but beautiful. I actually watched the movie version and it really did it no justice. Jim was kind of cute though. Ha. Out of all the books I've read so far, it was probably my second favorite. Tess is first. Tess is much more dramatic and gothic and romantic and I like that. My Antonia is very American. The setting is described wonderfully and Jim's insight is interesting.

Book 4: On the Road by Jack Kerouac
I did not like this book very much, I will admit. Part of it might've been the narrator's voice on the cd book, but still. I suppose the Beat Movement just does not particularly appeal to me. And I was just so tired of hearing about Dean Moriarty. Sal seemed to idolize him, but I was just like, shutup. And I think the idea of traveling that much just made uncomfortable. Maybe a little roadtrip, but nothing longer than that. I guess I just couldn't relate to the characters in anyway. I have no desire to do drugs or listen to jazz or hitchhike. I'm not dissatisfied with my life. Perhaps I'm boring. Or else I just do not care of the west. I wonder if this book was set in Europe or the East if I would've liked it better.

I do think the stream of conciousness wrting works better when you're listening to it. But I loved this quote by Truman Capote about the fact that Kerouac wrote the whole thing in three weeks on one sheet of paper or whatever, "That's not writing at all - it's typing".

So this book is at the bottom of the list. I'm sure it was very influential for others, just not me.

Book 5: Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
I'm only a couple chapters into this book. Listening to it again. It's crazy. I had an idea of what it was about, but not its tone before I started. I could definitely see why my boyfriend liked it. And the chapter on Major Major Major Major cracked me up. I just like saying that actually. More on this one later.

No comments: